Really Great and Really Scary Week

One more week until European Vacation. Have to make this week count. Doctor's appointment Monday am. Weight - 146. Lost 7 pounds. Woo-hoo! Cindy was a major hurdle this week. 20 minutes of AMRAP 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 15 squats. I made it 15 minutes, then stopped. When I got home, I was mad at myself because I felt like I should have gone for it. I could have gotten another set or two out of it. But I didn't. Must push myself harder. So Wednesday night, I see that the workout for Thursday is the 5K. This will give me something to think about all day. When I moved to Eugene two years ago, I needed something to do (since I couldn't find work) and I decided that I would be a runner. I did the couch to 5K program and was actually impressed with my progress. Josh and I decided that we would do the Turkey Stuffer 5K on Thanksgiving morning. A couple weeks into November, I must have pulled a muscle or something, because my leg did not feel right. I still went ahead and did the 5K, but ended up walking most of it because of my leg. I was disappointed in myself, but i still had a goal. The following year, I tried again. I didn't train as much as I should have, but I ended up running it in 36 minutes, which made me happy. Then I didn't run after that (I had totally convinced myself that my body wasn't made for running). So here we are in August 2009, with a 5K as a workout. I think about it all day. I get my ipod and start the run. Tommy and I are close the whole race. I ran the first mile and a half straight. I walk a bit after that, then run/walk the rest of the way. I finish in 33:38. I was so happy. I hadn't run in so long and I could still beat my score. I know 33:38 doesn't seem like much to a lot of people, but it was a personal victory for me. My next goal is to definitely run one in under 30 minutes. The next day, Friday afternoon, I received a call from my doctor. The blood tests I had taken earlier in the week came in, and the results were off. My platelets were low. This is why I was bruising easily and my cuts weren't healing very fast. I really wasn't sure what it all meant so I called my mom, who is a nurse. She wasn't really sure either. She called me the next day and told me to be careful and to not put myself in any danger. This wasn't a good call to get a few days before leaving for Europe. So we scheduled a follow-up blood test right when I got back. Not knowing what was going on was really scary. I changed a lot at once in July - diet, exercise, medications. Who knows? I skipped my Friday afternoon workout because I was worried, and made it to my Saturday morning workout. This was it for a while. Onto Europe, the land of wine and gelato!

No comments: