2.1.10

Gluten and Me

I just came across this article on the Huffington Post about the dangers of gluten. I'm not sure about all the connections between autism and gluten or depression and gluten, but I wish people would take all of this more seriously.
In my experience, when I cut out wheat, bread, starches, etc., I felt a hell of a lot better. Yes, the first couple weeks were difficult. I used to eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast every morning. But once I got used to making real food for breakfast, it wasn't a problem. I stopped having cravings in my everyday life. I cut out gluten for a month, then went to Europe. The difference there is that their food isn't nearly as processed as ours. I ate some sandwiches in Paris, but the bread was fresh. I ate some pasta in Italy, yet again - fresh! When I got back from Europe, I actually made a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and I couldn't eat it because it tasted so .... weird. And this has always been one of my favorite foods.
As I got back into my real life, I realized that it wasn't gluten that needed to be cut out - it was processed foods. So I did. Once in a while I would eat something that was freshly baked, but for the most part I cut out wheat. And every time I lapse into eating what I used to, like during the holidays, I pay for it.
It's so simple - the more whole the food you eat, the better you feel. And again, this comes down to the idea of access and economics. People need to be able to afford real, whole food if we're going to change the health outcomes of this country. I just jumped over a bunch of steps there, but that's really what it comes down to.

No comments: