25.9.11

The Halfway Point (almost)

How I Feel: It changes day to day. I felt great coming into Crossfit on Monday. I had spent the day in English Department meetings and I hadn't thought about teaching in months and I was truly excited about it. I felt happy Tuesday morning. I just ... felt happy. I love looking at this when I'm wandering around during a break at work:

I was walking around the other day and saw that and smiled because it was a beautiful day. Other days I'm not so great. Like today, I don't know. It rained, which is good. But I'm feeling kind of bummed out right now. Don't know why. I've also felt super-awkward in social situations lately. Not totally new, but kind of annoying.

Also for the first time I started maybe possibly potentially feeling leaner. I don't know. Not today. Today I made this for 'brunch'
That's pretty starchy for me. Sweet potatoes and bananas? Geez! I've been full all day. (Yes, that's the Tigers game in the background. Yes, the playoffs start next weekend. Yes, the Tigers need to make it past the first round if I want to have a beer and cheer them on. Yes, I think they will make it.)


What I Fear: My biggest accomplishment in all of this is that I'm making my own food and not getting take out. I love Ron's Island Grill and a good Yumm bowl. The Whole 30 is hardcore. I'm not going out to eat at all this month (until I have to travel in a couple weeks). I don't trust anyone! I'm not afraid of binging when we're done, but I am worried that I'll go back to old habits. How long does it take to get over being lazy?


Challenges Ahead: I start teaching on Tuesday, which means I'll be gone all day (Tuesdays and Thursdays) between 7:30 and 4 and attempting to Crossfit straight from teaching (and driving). Which means I need to be a super planner. I boiled some eggs tonight. I don't have a ton of 'snacking' veggies in the fridge, so that may be a problem. But I need to be ready for snack, lunch, and pre-workout snack. Can't Crossfit on an empty stomach.


Crossfit Thoughts: I worked out 5 days in a row this past week. Maybe that's overkill. Whatev. I can handle it. And on my fifth day, I PRed on my clean and jerk. FINALLY! I've been trying to get 110lbs. overhead since April. I was sore most of the week from excessive front squats on Monday. Also got a rope climb for the first time but that was more skill-oriented. Not ready to attribute anything to change in eating. Feel some more PRs coming on soon.

This seemed to be the week that people ate everything in front of me - cookies, ice cream, whatever. That ice cream sounded good. No real cravings to report. My mind is set on finishing this.

Here are my grocery trips for the week:
Market of Choice (9/18)

  • Almond Butter
  • Eggs
  • Salsa
  • Steak
  • Ground Beef

Total: $18.25

Trader Joe's (9/21)

  • Persian Cucumbers
  • Salad Mix
  • Kale (yuck. I'm done with kale)
  • Spinach
  • Apples (4)
  • Bananas (3)

Total: $11.59


Trader Joe's (9/23)

  • Eggs
  • Cantaloupe (yum. I love cantaloupe)
  • Avocados (2)
  • Persian Cucumbers
  • Salad Mix
  • Bell Peppers (organic)

Total: $14.83


Market of Choice (9/25)

  • Steak
  • Almond Butter
  • Cumin (bulk)
  • Salsa
  • Canned Organic Pumpkin (2)
  • Ground Turkey
  • Ground Ginger (bulk)
  • Eggs
  • Apples (4)
  • Onion Powder (bulk)
  • Oregano (bulk)
  • Crushed Red Pepper (bulk)
  • Poultry Seasoning (bulk)
  • Frozen Blueberries
  • Coconut Milk (2)
  • Walnuts (bulk)

Total: $41.08
Coffee throughout week: $6.50
Dinner at Gabe's/Crystal's: $5.00


Whole 30 Total: $288.60
And I think I'm done for a while as far as groceries go. I'm going to use what I have and make it through the week, at least. I still have frozen chicken and fish I need to use. I'm tired of salad. I need a break from that. I also have access to fresh veggies that I need to take advantage of. Obviously, with all the spices purchased, I'm following a recipe. Time to be more adventurous, especially if I'm going to carry this forward on day 31.

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Your grocery bill is A LOT smaller than mine . . .

Jen Maguire said...

I was just thinking the same thing. For a family of 4, we're spending $1000 a month! It's killing me!