11.10.11

The Final Cost

I have been tracking my food spending this month to see if healthy eating really costs more. When I started, I had a conservative estimate of $500 that I spent on food the month before, including going out and eating. So here is the final total. 


Costco 10/1

  • Avocados
  • Pineapple
  • Salad Mix
  • Probably something else I can't remember
Total: $15.00


Market of Choice 10/3

  • Steak
  • Mineral Water (x2)
  • Dates (bulk)
  • Honeycrisp Apples (a few)
  • Cantaloupe
  • Lemons
  • Walnuts (bulk)
  • Eggs
  • Yams (x2)

Total: $29.83


Trader Joe's 10/5

  • Ground Turkey
  • Bell Pepper
  • Dates
  • Applesauce
  • Raisins

Total: $13.62


Trader Joe's 10/9

  • Dates
  • Lemons

Total: $4.18


Market of Choice

  • Broccoli
  • Squash
  • Frozen Blueberries
  • Larabar (x2)
  • Carrots (1 lb.)
  • Salsa
  • Eggs
  • Coconut Milk (x2)
  • Steak

Total: $24.19


Awesome dinner at Lou's: $5
Coffee through October: I'm guessing $20. It's been a rough month.


Whole 30 Grand Total: $450.01


So yes, I saved money this month. And yes, it was exhausting cooking for myself ALL THE TIME!! I am proud of myself for eating all my food (meaning I didn't end up tossing a lot of it). I still have a lot of fish that I don't know what to do with. I miss going out. I know if I spent more time planning, I'd spend less. I'm not a robot. BUT I ate clean all month and I spent $50 less. So there. I proved my point.

1 comment:

Emilee9 said...

Damn, I need to shop with you. Nearly every one of my trips to the store = $25 or more, sometimes much closer to $50. That said--it will always be worth it to me--the argument that eating good food is more expensive is sorta crap.But the sense of accomplishment for eating clean food and making it yourself...for 30 freakin' days...is priceless. I miss going out as well, but hope to find places that offer healthy options and real food b/c it is saddening how many places FAIL in that area.