11.2.12

CrossFit and the Single Girl

I am single. Fact. After a bizarro period of time in my life, I can say with confidence that I am single and I like being single. It also has me thinking about where to find the right guy. Lately, my friends and family have said, "You know Robin, you could date people who don't go to your gym." Sure. I get the reasoning behind that. BUT, when so much of my life is spent at the box, wouldn't it make sense to combine these two areas of my life? It's multi-tasking, right? As with anything, there are pros and cons to the situation. Let's sort them out.


Cons

  • What if it doesn't work out? That would be awkward, right? 
    • Sure, depending on the situation. Can't people just work out when I'm not there? 
  • But you're a coach now. You shouldn't date the athletes.
    • Come on. All the other coaches do it.
Are there other cons? I don't know.

Pros
  • Common interests!
    • I know lots about CrossFit. We already have something to talk about, especially if the other person doesn't like baseball (God forbid).
  • We can see each other at our best...and at our worst.
    • That's what's so great about CrossFit - we do things we wouldn't normally do and we surprise ourselves and others. Somedays it's like, 'Whoa, I just did butterfly pull-ups!' or 'I totally finished that WOD when I didn't think I could.' Other days, it's more like, 'I just threw out more f-bombs in the last 5 minutes than I ever have in my life, and that person still high-fived me' or 'I have snot running out of my nose and that person's still talking to me.' We know how we do and what we look like. We live with it. And we keep coming back.
  • And honestly, people usually see you at your best...or at least that's what they remember.
    • Maybe you had a bad day. You didn't get that PR. It's in your head. But that other person saw you try. And they keep seeing that over time. There are so many people at Eugene CrossFit that I ADORE (and I don't use that word lightly) because of how supportive they are to the other athletes: my friends I hang out with socially, my buddies in GWOD, my fellow coaches ... it's an amazing place. What was I talking about again?
  • A built in panel of relationship experts!  (OK, maybe not experts)
    • BUT if there's someone that catches your eye, you can ask someone else at the box about them. I do this all the time. Actually, maybe we gossip too much. Never mind. This is a bad example.
  • Where else would I meet people?
    • A bar? A website? Work? Ugh. These are terrible options. And in a place like Eugene, which is defeating to begin with, where else would someone like me look?
I would argue that CrossFit is the IDEAL place to find the next great catch. Take that, mom!

No comments: