20.2.12

The Open

A couple weeks ago, I took up a personal challenge of trying to sign up as many Eugene CrossFitters for the CrossFit Games Open, which starts this Wednesday (we're currently at 86). Why? I like challenges. I love the Open and what it represents. And I want everyone out there to experience it, too.


The Open is an opportunity for everyone to participate in the CrossFit Games. Starting Wednesday, CFHQ will release a WOD each week that tens of thousands of athletes from around the world will complete and submit their score for that week. If they don't belong to an affiliate, they'll submit a video, like this: 


For Eugene CrossFit, we'll do the Open every Thursday and Saturday. You'll have a judge who will count your reps and make sure that you're meeting the standards. It's hard to explain why it's so awesome until you're actually doing it.


I haven't been the best CrossFitter lately. I'm not really into heavy lifting right now (really, who cares if I can or can't back squat 155lb.? I don't!). I think I pulled a muscle the other day with heavy kettlebells and I'm taking an extended break (which for me means 4 days). My eating has been terrible. I feel like a cow (I know I don't look like one. That's not the issue). 


But I'm still really excited about the Open.


I need that extra motivation. I was in hella good shape last spring. That all went away quickly. I've been trying to catch up and honestly, I've probably been trying too hard. But the Open is just what I need to push myself.


I'm even more excited for my friends who have been training for the past 6 months to a year for this. I know that some who came close last year will make it as individuals to Regionals. I can't wait to see who makes our team. So many people are going to give it their all and it's a great time to be a part of CrossFit.


But what about the rest of us? Those who won't make it to Regionals? You will set PRs. You will be amazing. You will surprise yourself. This is why you signed up:




We're all good enough.

No comments: